Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What to Frame?

I once liked this guy who worked at IKEA.  On his last day I "just so happened" to need some new frames.  I bought two, but later went back and bought a third.  Most decorations are better in threes.  I planned to hang them in my bathroom in a vertical line.  There was only one problem: What to put in them!  I had a black and white bathroom (still do) and my frames were black.  I looked for a long time for some black and white prints, but the frames were square and square prints are hard to come by.  One day when I had some free time I decided it was time to get something in them and get them on the wall.  So I just went to JoAnn and picked out some scrapbook paper.  What do you think? 

Plain black with a snake skin texture.


This frame seems to have a little steam damage.  That's the hazard with bathroom decor.


They used to be displayed in a vertical line, but in this apartment the best configuration is in a horizontal line.

I wonder if the guy I went to IKEA to see that day ever thought he would have those picture frames in his own bathroom someday?  :)  Probably not.

Here are some other non-traditional materials you can frame:
  • Fabric
  • Newsprint (imagine a shape, like heart, out of newsprint backed with white or black paper.  I'm going to have to remember that one for later!) (update: Today when I was talking about this idea with my design class, a student pointed out that newsprint will yellow over time.  I'll be honest, I kind of think that's cool, but if you're not down, you could always use pages from an old dictionary.  They should be treated to keep their color a little better.)
  • Wrapping paper
  • Postcards

Can you think of anything else fun to frame?

1 comment:

  1. Very Cute! I still need to finish my bathroom, I keep waiting to take the perfect picture to go in there. Kind of funny!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...