Thursday, November 15, 2012

DIY Christmas (Stockings and ruffle tree skirt)

My husband has a very strict policy about Christmas music and decor.  Not until after Thanksgiving.  Me?  I say when ever the mood strikes after Halloween.  Like last week, it was so warm I wasn't really feelings the Christmas music until Friday's snow storm.  And then it was Tran Siberian Orchestra on Pandora all day long.

But regardless of your personal feelings as to when the Christmas season begins, the truth is if you're going to DIY Christmas presents or decor you're going to have to start before Thanksgiving.  So the other day I did something I've been threatening to do for three years: Made our Christmas stockings!!  Seriously I bought the fabric soon after we were married (Nov 21) and I always think of it post Thanksgiving.  Not this year.  And do you know how long those three stockings took me?  Maybe an hour each.  Nap time + an hour after bedtime and I was DONE! 
You'll have to excuse the picture quality.  By the time I get home from work, natural light is hard to come by!

My second DIY for Christmas this year was a ruffle tree skirt (tutorial here).  I made one last year for my student's donation to Festival of Trees, but it got donated before I got a post written about it.  My husband did take a picture of it when we went to the festival, but I'm excited to finally be posting details about this project!
Last year's tree skirt went with the "Christmas Orange" themed tree. 

I found a drop cloth that was 6' x 9'.  I cut it in half to so I had two 4 1/2' pieces and then folded them into a triangle to square it up.  And then I folded it in half a few more times and rounded the edge to make a circle.

 After adding just one layer of ruffles it starts looking so pretty!

After all the ruffles are done!  Do I cut that extra fabric at the top?  Add another ruffle?  Not worry about since presents will probably cover it?  (Probably the last one)
I'll probably put up my whole tree this weekend, so pictures coming Tuesday!!

Somethings I did differently than the tutorial:
  • I used unbleached muslin for more of a homespun look.  (linen would be so much more expensive!)
  • I thought about getting extra muslin for the base, but I'm glad I went with the drop cloth as its a little heavier weight and I feel like it will last longer.  
  • I needed 2 1/4 yards of 90" muslin and I cut my strips into 3 1/2" instead of 2" because I didn't want it to take forever and honestly the pictures in the tutorial look like the strips are wider than 2". 
  • I wish I hadn't cut the circle in the middle until the end because I didn't end with the perfect amount of space at the end. 
  • Its so much easier than it sounds! 
Up next, some DIY Christmas ornaments!

What Christmas projects do you have going on this year?  Share!!

Linking up with: 

Holiday

5 comments:

  1. Oh man! I love your ruffle tree skirt! When we have our house next year, I just might be making me one! Ok I will be! I have too many handmade gifts to count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handmade gifts are the way to go!! But you have to start planning early or else December is a very stressful time of year (I speak from experience last year!!)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!!! You did an amazing job!
    Thanks so much for linking up at Artsy Corner. Hope to see you again this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was a lot easier than it looked!

      Delete
  3. Love how this turned out! Saw your link up and figured I'd stop on by! Love your blog! :)

    Shannon
    http://fabulouslyvintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...