Thursday, November 1, 2012

Painting Wood

Trends in fashion and interior design come and go.  I think we all know that.  When I was in high school you wouldn't even think of wanting a gold engagement ring (it was a topic of conversation on a regular basis, complete with sketches.  Don't act like you didn't do that too) but now I see more and more gold being used in jewelery.

One trend in interiors is painted wood.  I love it!  Natty by Design refinishes old wood furniture and I think her work is gorgeous. 
Of course furniture isn't permanent in your home and you could always change it out if the style changed.

My friend Elizabeth painted a built in shelf and phone desk.  Her son's nursery is so perfect, I can't imagine it with the original knotty pine. 

Centsational Girl painted her family room built ins.  In such a high traffic area, that is a huge commitment!   I absolutely love how it freshens up the room, but what do you do when painted wood is out and natural wood is back in style?

And last, Jessica at Decor Adventures has vowed to never paint her original wood trim in her home (over 100 years old!!)  Its stunning and fits the vibe of the house.  Plus, painting all the wood trim in a house would be a HUGE commitment. 

What do you think of painted wood?  Could you commit to it, knowing it might not always be in style? 

1 comment:

  1. So since we rent, we don't have much say in the matter. BUT I have definitely thought about this, since our current apartment has the natural wood trim.

    I've seemed to make it work for us, but it definitely depends on your decor.

    Here's a link to my living room that I posted last fall:
    http://dearfriendblog.com/2011/11/apartment-tour-living-room/

    Also, I always love Candis' (Lady Lee!) home, from the few glimpses I've gotten from her blog. She has natural wood on the windows, too, I think! I love the soft cool colors in her home and think it looks great with the natural wood work in the windows. Kind of sounds like I'm stalking, but really, these are things I just notice! :)

    If I had the opportunity, I don't know if I would paint or not. It is definitely a decision that you'd have to stick with once you made it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...